Sunday, March 18, 2018

"For My Folly I Had to Pay for All" - One Account of the Loyalist Plight After Saratoga

Following Burgoyne's defeat at the Battle of Saratoga, the morale of the Loyalist refugees attached to the British Army had devolved to the point of despair. Eighteen year old Elizabeth Munro was the daughter of the Reverend Harry Munro, a chaplain with the British Army. In 1810, she published Memoirs of Mrs. Elizabeth Fischer.

In her work, Elizabeth describes just how desperate the Loyalist refugees were following the British defeat.

"We retreated after the last battle to Saratoga, where we encamped a small distance from the river, to prevent their cannon having any command over us—having nothing to do, waiting General Burgoyne's orders. We were deprived of all comforts of life, and did not dare to kindle fire for fear we should be observed from the other side of the river, and they might fire on us, which they did several times. Being about the middle of October, we suffered cold and hunger; many a day I had nothing but a piece of raw salt pork, a biscuit, and a drink of water—poor living for a nurse. At this time I had my child at my breast, being eleven months old. One day, wearied of living in this manner, I told some of the soldiers' wives if they would join me, I would find out a way to get some provision cooked—seven of them joined me. I spoke to some of the soldiers that were invalid, and told them if they would make up a fire back in the woods, and get a large kettle hung on, we would fill it with provision, and cook it, which would last us some time. They consented to do it for a guinea; they went to work and built up the fire, hung on the kettle, and put water in it, then we women put in what we pleased; we soon filled it with a variety; it began to boil; we all kept a distance from the fire for fear of the cannon that were placed on the other side of the river on a high hill; they soon discovered our fire, and saluted us with a cannon ball; it struck and broke our kettle to pieces, and sent the provision in the air. We met with no hurt only losing our intended feast. The soldiers demanded their pay, which I paid; but as the disappointment was so great, the rest declined paying anything, saying they had lost enough by losing their provision, so for my folly I had to pay for all."


Photo Credit: Joshua Blessing


Elizabeth also described the long trek to Canada and the hardships she experienced along the way.

"A few days after the capitulation took place, when I saw the troops lay down their arms, I was glad, for I was wishing to get out of the camp. Mr. Fisher said he should go to Canada. I refused going with him, and went back to Hebron, where I meant to have stayed. Mr. Fisher proceeded on his way to Canada. On his arriving at Diamond Island, he met my father, who asked for me. Mr. Fisher told him that I was not willing to go to Canada, at which my father was angry, and said he must go back and bring me and the child. Mr. Fisher came for me and told me what my father had said . . . To please him I went, and when we got to Diamond Island my father was gone on his way. The next day we followed and overtook him at Mount Independent; he was walking in company with General Powell. When we landed, he came and took me by the hand and kissed me . . . This was the first time I had seen or spoke to my father since my marriage; he likewise told me he would see me in Montreal. The next day we all set off to cross Lake Champlain; the season of the year being far advanced, and going to the northward, we found it very cold and stormy. We were eleven days on the lake, in an open boat, it snowed and rained every day; we slept on shore every night on the ground, as there were no inhabitants on that side of the Lake in those days, for they had fled on account of the war. On the 22d day of November we landed in Montreal. As the river St. Lawrence was almost frozen over, we found it exceedingly cold . . . When we came to Montreal, we found the town very much crowded, and house-rent and fire wood high. As we had nothing to do, we hired some rooms and lived with a French family that winter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment